Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ups and Downs

Golly. I am sitting in the Twice office having just completed a marathon tour of the UK, taking Twice to all the Christmas fairs that I last wrote about four or five weeks ago. It has been shatteringly exhausting. I manage to have the most unwieldy stand set imaginable and consequently it seems to take me longer than most to set up and absolutely longer than most to breakdown (the stand, not me, although sometimes both). I have lost count of the number of times I have been the last exhibitor left at a fair, with some poor man who's job it is to close up wondering if (or rather, hoping that, so he can see the back of me) I need help to load the van.

Along the way I have met some of the nicest people - Karon (Dream Acres) at Duntreath Castle, Anna (Luna Lighting) at Spirit of Christmas and Simone (launching her new business, Simply Twisted, at Spirit and without who's fanastic tool box I would have been in deep trouble). The VitaMix boys - who fed us all week with smoothies and ice cream (incidentally everyone, the machine I bought has yet to turn up!). It was great to see Harriet with her Hunter Gatherer again at Country Living. My immediate neighbours there were lovely - thanks to all of them for allowing me the breathing space to have the odd coffee break - Jo and Jane at Home Scents and Debs and the gang at Lilybrook.

I then had a morning which reminded me exactly why I am so glad we left London - I packed up my stand at CL on Sunday evening and left everything ready to pick up on Monday morning before heading home to Scotland. I duly left Stockwell, where I was staying, at 8.30am, thinking it would take me about an hour to get to Islington. How wrong can you be? Very wrong. At 9.30 I was stuck in a stationary traffic jam at the Elephant & Castle, having programmed the SatNav to avoid the Congestion Charge. Realising the implications the traffic was having on my home time, I decided to spend the £8 on the charge and avoid the traffic. Oh yes? No. I turned up towards the City expecting to go straight through the wonderfully free moving congestion charged streets, only to find ..... exactly the same level of traffic as there was outside the zone. I'm not sure that I was ever out of a traffic jam and finally arrived at the Business Design Centre at 10.45. It had taken me the best part of three hours to go 4 or 5 miles and my estimated time of arrival at home in Perth had moved from six in the evening to nearer nine. It was the longest time by far that I've been away from my family and I was really feeling it. The result was that when someone was rather sharp with me at the BDC I burst into tears and had to be comforted by Walter, an incredibly kind parking manager. I have to say the man is a saint - at the time he was also trying to deal with the fact that an articulated lorry had pulled into the already cramped loading bays, causing the mother of all bottlenecks, with attendant effing and blinding from all around.

I finally got the van loaded and headed up the M1, M6, M74 and M80 (I think) back to Perth. I am only happy that the afternoons get dark so soon or I would have been seen with tears flooding down my face when they played Westlife's "Back Home" on the radio. When I finally made it I can honestly say that I have never been happier to be home.

That was last Monday. Since then I have been up to Banchory in Aberdeenshire for a one day sale, then to Hopetoun House near Edinburgh for a three day sale and then today I completed a two day sale in the Agricultural Mart in Perth (called agricultural, smells agricultural).

[YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, MISERABLE BIT COMING UP .. Ed]

And so, after all this, where is Twice and where am I? Well, on the face of it, it should all have been worthwhile. The bank balance is healthier, lots more people have seen what I'm doing, lots more people have shown enthusiasm for it and I've had lots of compliments. But I have to admit that I feel very flat. And the reason is this. It is unbelievably hard to run a company that produces the kind of goods we produce at Twice in the UK and compete. I'm not sure that the fact that our fabrics are vintage and that the linen and leather we use are made in the UK means enough to enough people. The people who were really successful at the fairs I exhibited at were, by and large, sourcing or manufacturing their products abroad. I had some great companies approaching me to enquire about stocking Twice goods, which they liked precisely because they were original and made in the UK, but because of the relatively high production costs we have, there isn't sufficient margin to sell to trade customers. It costs me more just to have things made here than people are selling the equivalent product made abroad for at retail.

So, I am sitting here this evening wondering whether what I am doing at Twice is ever going to work. Even with all the lovely things said about it, from other exhibitors, from customers, from magazines, the bottom line is that most people seem to want something for nothing, or as near to it as they can get and I just can't produce what we do at Twice for nothing, or anywhere near it. There are, of course, some ethical and interested customers out there who are prepared to pay for what companies like mine do and I love them and really, really thank them - but all the small companies like mine rely on these customers and I am really wondering if there are enough of them to go round. And while everyone talks about wanting to support local businesses, the fact is that I may talk about the wonderful linen mills in Kirkcaldy that we work with and the deerskin tannery in Glasgow and the machinists in Dundee, but it doesn't translate into the majority of peoples' willingness to spend.

If this all sounds a bit depressed, it is. I'm sure it will all seem brighter in the morning, or the New Year, or sometime. But I know that there are lots of us out there feeling just like this - putting hours and days and months of effort into something that should be right for our times with all the re-cycling and ethical trading and supporting our small businesses that is constantly being talked about in the media. What to do, what to do?

First day without a set up, breakdown or sale for weeks tomorrow - can't wait.

Caroline

PS. Can't quite believe I'm about to publish this post - my blog was supposed to be a marketing tool, not an outlet for my exhausted emotions! Forgive!

10 comments:

Jane said...

Well I am delighted that you have posted this blog. I think that it is exactly what blogging can give access to.
I don't actually think that blogs are a great direct marketing tool - for me a trip down to the local toddler group would probably be more lucrative . Where I think blogs shine though is in giving a feel of the difficulties, frustrations, joys and decisions behind a small business, particularly a small business whose production decisions are not based on the cheapest option. How are people to know the problems of sourcing moss if I don't have somewhere to bang on about it.
I get frustrated by very chipper, everything is wonderful, "look at my gorgeous life" business blogs as it all makes it look deceptively easy. Perhaps they make more business sense, perhaps people want to buy into that Boden look and don't want to hear about trying to source fair trade ribbons.
I actually don't think most customers care at all about local sourcing, ethical approaches, the fact that eco paper bags are twice the price of non-recycled ones. I have maybe 6 customers who quizz me about such things. So think of all the rest out there just waiting to be educated!
I expect that you are tired though - you have been on a marathon sales trip - once the Christmas rush is over it would be great to meet up for a coffee and a frustration busting session.

Twice said...

Thank you for your supportive message. Coffee definitely on the cards - feeling a bit brighter this morning but it's a lonely old business running things on your tod and I think the banks just burst last night!

Caroline x

vicky said...

I totally understand your comments and think you have some very good points...I had a stand at the camphill sale you attended - I was selling beautiful handmade items sourced by me from designer-makers around the uk, because I am passionate about their products and like you think they are right for our time....I did ok, took a bit of money, but realised that no one was really interested in the designer or the origin of the items I was selling, it was all about price...which was depressing and I was upset about it for weeks afterwards.....there must be a way to champion 'handmade' and make it commercially viable...i'll have a think on my journey, because - guess what, I'm just packing up the car to go to another sale in London (!) wish me luck...and I'd love to meet up for a coffee in the New Year too. My margins are tiny and my husband thinks I'm crazy but I will continue to support businesses like yours.

Twice said...

Hi Vicky - lovely to hear from another one of the Crazy Gang! I was talking to a friend about it this morning and we both agreed that, for us, if business came down to just ordering something selling it then it would lose most of what makes it worth doing. Don't know where you're based, but you're very welcome to join the coffee morning!

Caroline x

vicky said...

I have just been reading Jane's blog and feel comforted that I am among friends but still a bit miserable that so many people are having similar experiences...I wonder if it is the same in America?...Also, amused by Jane's comments about Not On The High Street...it's a clever idea but lacks any personal endorsement which I suppose is the point..People buy from me because they know I have a 'good eye' and a particular style and if I have chosen to sell something then it must be 'ok' - I think this is the way to go...build your brand identity and sell a 'lifestyle'...but it takes time!i went to a fair at a very expensive school last saturday and made three sales and took £40!!!!! I am still recovering and clearly still have a long way to go! xVicky

Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline. I'm new to your blog but was directed here by Jane at Snapdragon; it's brilliant. Like Jane says above, those of us trying to make handmade work want real blogs that talk to us about real issues. My business is new and is building nicely, but the things you are saying are precisely what lurk in my mind in the dark of night! I shall definitely be back xx

Twice said...

I hope that all these creative outlets don't just turn us all into moaning Minnies - but I'm sure, like me, you find that the lift you get when someone buys something loves it can make hours and days of work worthwhile. Glad to welcome you to my blog!

Caroline x

Anonymous said...

hi Caroline,

I know just what you mean.

But unfortunately, I don't have the answer.

Don't ever give up. your stuff is great. I look at my little notebook everyday and it brings me such joy precisely because it is totally unlike anything you can buy on the high street.

You must be exhausted after all those shows and all that travelling so be kind to yourself!

Anonymous said...

Hello, i saw your stand at the Cl and you had lovely and exquisite thing.I understand your feelings about the business side, but i have been a "cottage industry" for ten years now, and this year has been quite a bad one (both in France where i live, and in Europe) and i found customers looking twice at price tags, which is not always the case, i don't think you should question your products...maybe people are having a "smaller " christmas this year?
Good luck for the next year!

Twice said...

Dear Anonymous - Thank you so much for your message - very kind comments about Twice and it's great to hear feedback about the market from someone with a bit of perspective. I really appreciate it.
Caroline x