Sunday, March 16, 2008

To print or not to print, that is the question.

Twice is a business that definitely grows organically. New products come on stream often because I've had an idea in my mind and then I meet someone who can help me bring it to life. Our breadboards and spurtles are a good example of this - I had a picture of my mother's old breadboard in my mind but it wasn't until I met Hugh Leishman and started working with him that I could actually make them a reality. It means that our range is a bit eclectic, but I like it like that.

The other thing which is happening in this organic (some might say, ramshackle!) way is marketing the business. The website happened because it felt like the most sensible way to be able to work from home and around the children's lives. Fairs have happened because I have met someone holding one, or another small business person has recommended one. And everything has usually been done because it felt like it was the right time. It is now feeling like the right time to put together a catalogue - but I am TERRIFIED! It is a major expense for the business both in terms of time and money, but I think it is the next step. I would be really interested to get feedback from anyone reading this blog and I've put a little poll in the top right hand corner - please let me know what you think. Obviously I realise that people who don't buy online are unlikely to be reading a blog - but any information is better than no information!

I've had a miserable day today returning a tiny pony that we got for our 8 year old daughter who has become a very nervous rider. He turned out to be just as nervous as she was, so we had to call it a day - but it's not that great separating a little girl from her new pony. Ow!

4 comments:

Tracy x said...

hello from another Scottish craft worker and NOTHS partner x

i admire both you and Jane hugely - to see how determined and passionate you are about your businesses always spurs me on to allow the craft side of my life to grow and flourish x

i agree that it is harder when you are based in Scotland - i have only been here for six months and have noticed the difference.

i am sure a brochure would be a good idea - i love the website Plumo, for its photography as much as its items - but on the few occasions when i have purchased items it has been the result of their brochure landing on my doormat!
it is strange how differently things look in paper form.

i shall stop chatting now!
hope the pony heartbreak improves - awful for your little girl and you :(

speak soon
tracy x

Twice said...

Hi Tracy - thanks so much for your message. Lovely to hear from another Scottish entrepreneur and really nice to hear that we are helping to keep you going! I think we all need all the support we can get. I think you're right about the catalogue too - I just can't get my head around the work involved!

By the way, how's NOTHS going for you?

Caroline

Anonymous said...

Hi Twice,

I too am a great fan of yourself and Jane Lindsey, and a crafter based in Northern Ireland about to start a web based business....eek!!! I was wondering if you had heard of the company Papa Stour who are based in Scotland - they promote Scottish based craft businesses...may be worth a call to see if they could help with your marketing plans.

Twice said...

Hello Anon - Eeek is probably right - good luck with your website. The report back from the front is that it is damn hard work - but - if you are successful it is a great way of working that allows you to look after all the other things in your life that make calls on your time - in my case, three children, one husband, three horses, two dogs and a cat (oh, and a house). It takes much longer than you think to build up your client base on the web, but once it is moving it's great. Thanks for the thought about Papa Stour. I haven't heard of them but I'll look into it. BW Caroline