Friday, May 02, 2008

New Twice Summer Courses

I have been thinking for some time that it would be great to organise some courses around subjects that would interest me - on the basis that if I'm interested others might be too. I'm always thinking of new things that Twice can do. Many of them stay as thoughts but this idea had wings and I've just sent out flyers to our mailing list with information on the first series of one day courses that we will be running here in June.

The courses are all on subjects that I'd like to know more about - we've got Xa Milne and Fiona Houston who write a column for Telegraph Weekend and have just had a wonderful book called "Seaweed and Eat It" published. They are coming to take people foraging, show them what's good to pick and then do a cookery demonstration with what they've found. Nettle gnocchi appeals to me!


Then we've got what promises to be a really inspiring day when Jane Lindsey, from Snapdragon, is going to teach everyone which are the best cutting flowers to grow in Scotland, how to get flowers to last longers once inside (I, for one, will be very interested in that bit!) and how to arrange and wrap them to produce a really professional bouquet. I always prefer to give flowers from my garden if I can - but I can never get them looking really good, so this will be invaluable. I may have to reserve a place on this course for myself!

And I'm really thrilled about the last day we've organised in this first series. Joa Studholme is the colour consultant that Farrow & Ball call on when their clients need advice on which colours to use in their homes. She has years of experience putting colours into every conceivable type of building (the photo shows her in the Long Room at Lords cricket ground) and lectures on the subject around the world. I am so pleased that she has agreed to come and talk for us - it will be brilliant for anyone who is a little bit nervous about how to get colours right. Colour is one of those things that is often really hard to get right - but when you do get it right the results can be spectacular.


I have lots of plans for more courses - so, I'm on tenterhooks to see if people are receptive to these first three so that I can go ahead with a series in the autumn.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jane said...

I am so looking forward to this Caroline - I am just back from a course in Wales and it made me realise how productive it is to just take a day out now and again to learn a new skill.
Jane
x

Twice said...

Hi Jane - glad your course was good. I agree with you about these days - it's great for people to spend time doing something that interests them, meeting new people and going away knowing something new. I met up with the Forage Rangers this morning to see what we could find and that course looks as if it's going to be fascinating too. I can't tell you what's happening to our eating - had ground elder with our Sunday lunch yesterday!

Caroline x

Jane said...

I really like the taste of ground elder - though I call it Bishop's weed when I serve it up! In fact our ground elder began to decline as soon as I reclassified it as a crop.
J
x

Twice said...

Had an interesting one this morning when I happily grabbed and ate a leaf, pronouncing it to be sorrel, to find my mouth feeling like I had eaten stinging nettles! What I had actually eaten was a bit of "Lords & Ladies" which DEFINITELY isn't edible!
C x