Tuesday, May 27, 2008

We only charge you what it costs us ....

... one of the biggest problems I've encountered since starting Twice has been the issue of Post & Packing charges. When Twice started I did alot of research on other websites and plumped for a flat fee of £4.50, which seemed just about average. But then, because people are often just buying something small from us, it started to cause a problem on smaller orders and so it went down to £3.95 - but that caused a huge problem because things like our cork bath mats, which we sell alot of, cost us £4.30 in post alone, and if someone orders 2 (which often happens) the post is £8.00. Anyway, I've been hoping to find a solution to this that will keep everyone happy and finally we've cracked it. The whole of our Post & Packing has been updated so that all our P&P charges are at cost - it's been a time consuming project but it means is that every order we receive now only pays what it costs us for post and packing. We charge the actual postage or courier cost based on weight and then add £1 or £1.50 for our time and the packing materials, which I think is pretty fair. At the same time, we've made sure that we can send orders anywhere in the world on the same basis - which is a breakthrough.

One of the things that spurred me on to get this organised was receiving an email from a lady in the US called Laurie Crouch who runs the US Lucas Terrier Club - those of you who follow my blog will know that we have a Lucas called Pebble - and Laurie somehow found Twice through the wonders of the interweb. She kindly mailed and said that she would love to tell people about the company and did I mail to the US? Nothing like that to put a rocket under the proverbial and so now I can tell her that the answer is 'Yes'! This also gives me a chance to put another photo of Pebble on the blog!

3 comments:

Jane said...

I have found working out postage costs the most difficult thing - people don't really work out the costs of driving into town, parking the car etc.whereas when it is baldly spelled out in a post and packing charge it can put them off.
It was one of the good thing about moving to selling only things I make that I was able to incorporate the charge into the pricing - that said I miscalculated on the weight of bulbs this year and made nothing at all on a few orders . . . you live and learn.
I think that you are being very honest and transparent which is a good thing,
So looking forward to the courses!
J
x

Tracy x said...

sweet, sweet Pebble x
p&p is hateful - i am just about to relaunch my website and the holdup has been the postage charges.
i am often put off by a p&p charge and i shop mainly online - your option is fantastic x
t x

Twice said...

Sorry I haven't responded to your posts Jane and 2C - as you can imagine, with the workshops coming up, it's been a little hectic here. Need to get the first one under my belt so I can start sleeping properly again!