Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I've always been drawn to old fabrics and, as you may know, the nascence of Twice was in the old fabrics and blankets that I found when we moved into my husband's family house in Scotland seven years ago. I love used fabrics infinitely more than new ones, however beautiful the pattern, because of the wonderfully soft feel and dimming of colour that use has given them. I had always hoped for Twice to produce fabrics based on the huge archive of antique fabrics that I've built up over the years but, when we finally started doing just that this year, just printing fabric wasn't enough. I wanted to try and replicate the gorgeous 'lived-in' feel of old linens. It has taken a long time and a lot of perseverance by many people along the way but I think we really have cracked it. Our linens now go through several processes (which for obvious reasons I'm going to keep secret!) to achieve a wonderful softness and subtlety - but with all the strength of a new fabric.

At the moment, we have our beautiful Framboise linen alongside natural and bleached linen, all of which have been given our special treatment. Our next pattern is in the pipeline and I have plans for many more which will appear at Twice over the next year or so.

2 comments:

Alchamillamolly said...

I have just found your website and blog - which I have read to the beginning! Please do not change your ethos and continue to provide quality English made goods. My husband and I are not on very big salaries but as youngsters we were always taught to buy the best that you can and we pass that advice to our young adults. I would rather save and buy wisely and our house is full of second hand and new quality items that we appreciate. We buy for always not for that season. Your website is full of wonderful things to buy and appreciate for a long long time. That is also why I source vintage - it is the quality that we find on your website that England was known for many years ago and that is why it is still around for us to enjoy. I wish you all the luck in the future and with your new shop. I was a young WRAF stationed at Leuchars so I know St Andrews as a beautiful place.

Twice said...

Thank you so much for your comments - I was so touched. We are working very hard here to stick to our guns and it's really, really great when we get supportive feedback like yours. If you email me your address at info@twiceonline.co.uk, I'll make sure you get one of our new catalogues when they're out in a couple of weeks.

Many thanks - Caroline x